Thursday, April 22, 2010

“It Was the Right Thing to Do”

A few months ago, I asked a group of martial arts students, “Have you ever been scared to tell the truth?”

One girl shyly raised her hand and said, “I saw one of my classmates vandalize school property, and he told me that I better not tell anyone or he’d beat me up.”

After a long pause, I asked, “What happened?”

“I had to tell someone,” she said meekly, shrugging her shoulders. “It was the right thing to do.”

If a young girl can courageously stand up to her threatening classmate, everyone can stand up for what’s right.

1 comment:

  1. I've often thought that I'm glad I didn't find myself in Germany during WWII. Would I have spoken up? I honestly don't know. Integrity is easy when it's easy, but when it's hard it's oh so so hard.

    ReplyDelete